Saturday, October 10, 2009

Make Some Soup

Cooking can seem evasive when you've been focused on drugging or drinking for a long time, especially when the last thing on your mind was self-nurturing.

That being said, easy-to-do and and yummy recipes can not only leave you with a healthy, feel-good meal, but they can also give you the boost in self-esteem that doing something creative, successful and good-for-you can provide.

And, of course, with fall breezes and football under way, what better to treat yourself to than a nice bowl of soup.

Now, I am NO chef, but I found this delightful butternut squash soup recipe online last weekend, and not only did it turn out mouth drippingly good, but it also was easy and cheap to make.

I can't remember the site where I found this, so apologies in advance, but here it is for you to enjoy:

1 Butternut Squash, peeled and cubed
1 onion
2 carrots
2 potatoes
1 celery stalk
vegetable stock or chicken stock (I use vegetable because I am vegan, but chicken is just as good)
salt to taste
butter to taste

Heat butter in a pan and sautee all chopped ingredients, except for vegetable stock, until browned.
Put all ingredients in a medium sized pot and put your stock in until it covers the vegetables.
Boil
Simmer for 40 minutes
Puree' ingredients in a blender

And voila' brilliantly yummy squash soup will make you think you are a gourment chef.


Just for today, try this out. I don't want any excuses either, because I only own one pot and no lid for it (I simmer with a plate on top..ha)...I am also not rich, and this is very much easy to do on a budget.

Give yourself a chance to do something fun and creative, and, please, share your find your first step self-care recipes if you'd like.

1 comment:

  1. This was a great post today. A reminder of simple enjoyment and ways that we can comfort ourselves. I made a big pot of Jambalaya the other day. The process is tedious, but the reward is astounding!

    ReplyDelete