Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Recognize Your Body

When you are drinking, using or numbing out in any type of addiction, you actually DETACH in an unhealthy way from you physical body.

You may think you are fat or thin or healthy or sick, or you might even miss the fact that you are in chronic pain.

Sometimes you might even be using to numb that pain.

As my posts and others' comments keep reminding us, getting sober is to GAIN self and other connection and part of that is reconnecting (or connecting for the first time) to your physical body.

Start with a list of everything you think you look like. Then, take it to the next level. Focus on different parts of your body. How do they feel? What are they telling you about what they need?

More exercise? Less? More treats? Less?

This is the first step to getting to know the crux of who you are, as even though we are spiritual beings, we are attached to our bodies on this earth.

Just for today, make friends with your physical being. Even if you don't feel like it.

3 comments:

  1. Oy... my physical being today is being overhauled in a way i'm not liking. My meds are wreaking havoc. :?(

    However, that said. It took me a very long time to make peace with my "self". Women especially are brought up to believe we must be this tall or that thing, long hair vs short hair etc. I figured out quite young I just didn't care about conforming to anything other than what made me whole as a person. I still have days but for the most part, I am okay with who I am. I still have self check days but it's so much better to love the me I am today. I love this post as much as the rest. Good food for thought. Hugs. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I AM friends with me...I mean, a guy has to have at lease ONE friend--right?

    PEACE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to be friends with myself. I guess that includes all parts of me!

    ReplyDelete